Herring Hall c. 1902
Herring Hall 2006
Herring Hall is the second-oldest existing building on campus. Originally constructed as the Men's Gymnasium, it was also often used for dances and other social events.
Over the years the building has housed a number of diverse programs, including Drama, Journalism, the Radio & TV Bureau, and Landscape Architecture.
The building was made possible by a gift of $5,000 from Dr. James Douglass and his associates from the Copper Queen Mining Company. It was named for Col. William Herring,
territorial lawyer and legal council for the Phelps Dodge Corporation.
Herring Hall has recently undergone a complete restoration for use by the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. The building is now home to The University of Arizona
Herbarium. The College of Agriculture has developed a website on the history of the building.
- Construction Year: 1903
- Architect: D.H. Holmes
- Style: Classic Revival
- Listed on the National Register: 1986